Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have a friend who has a Colombian passport, and who has a

Customer Question

I have a friend who has a Colombian passport, and who has a student Visa for the UK (she has been studying for 1 year already).
She would like to visit me in France (Nice) for 4 days, where I live permanently.
Although she is confident she can enter France, she is worried she will not be allowed to return to UK.
Can you clarify?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
When does her current visa expire please?
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Student Visa expires 31st May 2016. However, my friend is talking about her University support sponsor (CAS - Confirmation of Acceptance Studies) expired January 29th

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean that her course of study has finished?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am finding out. Would it be helpful if I sent you a scan of her passport and visa?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't do that, these questions are viewable on the internet.
Please find out about whether her course has finished and when her visa was originally granted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Her course finished January 29th. But her graduation ceremony (in London) is on 12th March, and she has a flight booked back to Colombia on March 14th

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
When was her visa originally granted please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In UK, valid from: 22/1/15

Valid until: 31/5/16

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you got this

In UK, valid from: 22/1/15

Valid until: 31/5/16

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Personally, I would not risk it. The reason is that although her visa has a couple of months to run, her course has finished and her cas letter appears to have expired.
Although she may get in, I have seen some situations personally in similar circumstance where the entry clearance officials have refused entry on the basis that the course has finished and that she is a risk of an overstay. For this reason, there is a degree of uncertainty which would personally be sufficient for me not to travel.
I would look at alternatives, such as visiting you for a few days immediately before her visa in the UK expires so that she need not attempt re-entry to the UK.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Good service.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Please do remember to leave feedback