Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My wife is from Pakistan and she has been living in Canada

Customer Question

my wife is from Pakistan and she has been living in Canada for the pat 18 months. She has got her Permanent Resident Card for staying in Canada. I am now applying for a spouse visa application. I just want to know does she have to give an English test. On the website it state:ExceptionsYou won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of one of the following countries:
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
the Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Dominica
Grenada
Guyana
Jamaica
New Zealand
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
USASince she has got her Permanent Resident Card for Canada that does make her a national of Canada does it?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.Unfortunately, your wife would still have to meet the English language requirement.This is because although she may have permanent residence in Canada, this is not the same as holding a Canadian passport. A “national” of a country is a person who has citizenship of that country and therefore holds a passport.I presume therefore that she does not have a Canadian passport. This means that she is not regarded as a Canadian national and would remain a Pakistani national for the purpose of the immigration rules. This means that she would have to meet the English language requirement before she can apply for a passport. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. She goes to college in Canada and she is doing CLB LEVEL 4 - IS THIS IS THE SAME AS THE ENGLISH TEST WHICH IS REQUIRED FOR IMMIGRATION, SPOUSE VISA.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The test has to be on the list of approved providers/tests. The list is here:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/498175/2015-02-05_-_Approved_Secure_English_Language_Tests_and_Test_Centres.pdf Unfortunately, I cannot see that the test you have referred to is on the list and for this reason I suspect it is not sufficient and that she will have to take one of the tests on the list. However, you may take suggest that your wife takes the test to her course provider and get them to specifically clarify. Please do remember to leave feedback.Tom