frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I'm on a EEA Family Permit married to an EEA National

Customer Question

I’m on a EEA Family Permit married to an EEA National (Portuguese).
My Question is:
Upon arrival in the UK, will I need to apply for the EEA2 Residence Card before applying for a National Insurance Number?
OR
Should I first apply for a National Insurance Number and then proceed to apply for the EEA2 Residence Card?
Which is the right way to go about this, as I would like to begin employment as soon as I arrive in the UK.
Shawn
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry.In general people tend to apply for NI first. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Franz

Thanks for responding. I did read somewhere that you first need to legally work before applying for NI, being on an EEA family permit/visa will that be possible to apply for NI can I legally work on an EEA family permit?

I've read different views from different people...so it is a bit confusing.

Shawn

Hello Application for NI is not something immigration lawyers deal with. I am only aware people generally apply for NI first and in your case you are allowed to work as a family member of an EEA national exercising tracy rights. You should go to your local job centre and enquire about making an application for NI.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your help Frantz

Shawn

You welcome