Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Thomas, I would like to ask you about which type of application I should make mo

Hi Thomas, I would like to ask you about which type of application I should make for my mother.
My mother has come from Hong Kong in order to help looking after my new born baby. She is currently staying in UK on the 6 months visa free period under the HKSAR passport.
I would like to explore option for her to stay beyond 6 months probably up to 2-3 years. But she will definitely not be staying permanently in UK.
Looking at the government website on the form to use had been confusing, I am wondering which type of application and thus form I should use to achieve my purpose.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.What nationality are you please?What is your own immigration status in the UK? Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas,I hold a british citizen passport. I am from Hong Kong. My mum is from Hong Kong as well. But she only has a normal Hong Kong SAR passport.Thanks,
Miles
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately,, if your mother is not in a relationship with an EEA national or foreign national with a leave to remain in the UK then the options for her are very limited. The fact that you are a UK citizen does not help too much in these circumstances. This is because she would only be able to apply on the basis that you are her daughter if she were able to apply for an elderly dependent relative visa:https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibilityYou will see under the heading “Coming to be cared for - you’re an adult dependent relative” that in order to be eligible to apply for this you have to show that she would need long term care in order to carry out day to day tasks. So, given that she is physically able to come over and help with your child this is presumably not applicable to her. Therefore the application wpuld be rejected. This means that probably the best thing to do would be for her to apply for a long terms visit visa on a multi entry basis. This can be granted for 2, 5 or 10 years and would allow her to enter/leave the UK as much as she liked probvided that she does not stay more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK. I am sorry that the options are thin. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards, Tom