How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 507
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I am an EU citizen. I have started working in the UK

Customer Question

Hello, I am an EU citizen. I have started working in the UK full time in September 2009 and in October 2009 I have started my PhD full time. I had an EHIC card from before September 2009 that expired in March 2010, but as I registered with NHS as a student and never have been asked for a card, and my Uni told me I have eligibility for NHS healthcare as a student of a course longer than 6 months, I have not applied for the card anymore. I have got married to a British citizen in 2013, and since January 2014 I am working full time in England. I've decided to apply for naturalisation. I've passed the life in the Uk test and I was ready to apply, when I have heard some people have their application rejected due to the lack of the ehic card. When is it ok for me to apply for naturalisation? Do I need to wait any longer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry.Periods as a student without Comprehensive Sickness Insurance will not count towards the relevant period. Unfortunately registration with NHS does not meet the requirement for comprehensive sickness insurance. If you choose to apply under EEA law, only those periods when you were exercising treaty rights as a worker will count. You will need to evidence your PR status as part of an application for naturalisation. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the fact I was in fact a resident working in the Uk with national insurance prior to the start of my PhD, and that I was on British funding body payroll with 35 hrs week working hours not change my situation?
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloNo does not change your situation I am afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also - I had a proof of comprehensive medical insurance from 2009 - the EHIC card issued in Poland. Is it not good enough as the card (not the insurance) expired in 2010?
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou can usually count the period you had CSI as part of the relevant period.
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloAre you satisfied with my answer? Can you rate it please.