Frantz I
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I was born in the USA but received UK citizenship several

I was born in the USA but received UK citizenship several years ago. I understand I am allowed dual citizenship within the UK however on the IK passport application they are asking for any uncancelled passports to be sent to them I want to keep my unexpired USA passport and retain dual nationality - but how can I do this?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you are a UK citizen and you are applying for a UK passport, you are required to submit supporting evidence including an unexpired passport. If you do not wish to send your USA passport, I believe some local government councils provide a passport verification service where you don't have to submit your passport as part of your application I believe. You don't loose UK nationality by not applying for a UK passport. If you have not received UK citizenship by birth, you would have been issued with a naturalisation certificate, which is the evidence you have of being British. The UK government recognises dual nationality. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.