Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My daughters partner is from Zimbabwe he has lived and worked

Customer Question

My daughters partner is from Zimbabwe he has lived and worked in uk for over 10 years. he did have a Zimbabwe passport and UK passport. 4 years ago he handed in his UK passport because the Zimbabwe govt stopped duel nationality. Recently he applied for a new UK passport as he intends to marry my daughter and remain in UK, however the company he works for has been informed and they have dismissed him as they say he has no right to work in UK as he gave up his UK passport 4 years ago. He was in a well paid job, is a degree holder and has always worked in UK following going to university in UK. Can you help or piont us in right direction to get help.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His Zimbabwe passport has also expired, he applied for a new Zimbabwe passport some time ago but the embassy say they can't find it? Apparently this happens a lot with the Zimbabwe embassy in London. So at present he has no passport. His mother (who has died) and his step mother held Duel nationality. He wants to get his job back, he was dismissed yesterday, and get a British passport.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 9 months ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry. If your daughter's partner is British and he has not applied to renounce his British citizenship then he should be able to apply for a new passport. Simply handing over a British passport to the Zimbabwe government does not renounce him of British citizenship. If your daughter's partner is British and he has not renounced his citizenship, he will have right to work in the UK. It is not clear why his step mother is allowed to hold dual nationality and he isn't. Please clarify with further information.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Frantz he is not British but is a Zimbabwean, he did hold duel nationality but renounced it four years ago as it became law in his home country. He is more concerned about returning to work than getting a British passport at present but will still apply for a British passport. Can you help so he can continue to work?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 9 months ago.
OK he is not British now because he renounced his British citizenship. How did he renounce his British citizenship? If he renounced his British citizenship, was he on a different working visa in the UK because he would not have been allowed to work in the UK without a working visa. If he decided to renounce his British citizenship why does he feel he is now entitled to apply for a UK passport? Unfortunately if he does not have a working visa or clarify the circumstances surrounding is British citizenship, he cannot work in the UK. Sorry I know I am asking a lot of questions to clarify the facts in order to give him the right general support. Would you prefer to use the premium service instead? I think the premium service may be more appropriate.