frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

Can I apply British passport? I married an English man

Customer Question

Can I apply for a British passport? I married an English man in 1963, lived and worked in the Uk until retirement, still lives there, our daughter was born and educated in the UK and holds a British passport. I have been a widow for 6 years.
I currently hold a French passport as I was born there in 1941.
Isabelle Jarvis ***@******.***
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry. An EEA national who is a worker can become permanently resident in the UK if s/he ceases activity as a worker because of retirement and if resident in the UK for at least 3 years and working for at least a year prior to retirement. To apply for a British passport you would first need to be naturalised as a British citizen. To apply to naturalise you would need to show evidence of being permanently resident in the UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know if I am already a British resident? I have had a British passport long ago.
So you already have a British passport?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had one many years ago.i never renewed it and travelled on my French passport.
Ok. Do you still have a copy of your expired British passport? You should be able to apply to renew it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no!
I am concerned that my husbands death may change my status in the UK.
HelloIf you were already British ( I am assuming you are here because you had a British passport) before your husband's death, your British citizenship should not change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I find out if I am a British citizen? Thank you
You would need to ring the Home Office nationality service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
You welcome.