How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 565
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

My Greek husband has received a letter from home office confirming

Customer Question

My Greek husband has received a letter from home office confirming a successful British citizenship application. He requested his name to be spelled Panagiotis Arhimandritis on the certificate, to reflect the English translation of his name which we use on all our legal documents including my British passport and our daughters British passport, and our marriage certificate which was translated from Greek to English.
The problem we have is that his current Greek passport translates the surname as Archimandritis. They say that if he wants to apply for a British passport, which was the prime reason for the citizenship application, we have to change the Greek passport to the same spelling as the citizenship certificate.
When my husband last renewed his Greek passport, he was told that the spelling could not be changed.
How can we best proceed so that we can apply for a British passport?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
Hello Your husbands naturalisation certificate can only bear the name on his Greek passport. If you want your husband's naturalisation certificate and any subsequent British passports, he will need to change the name on his Greek passport. There may be the other less convienent option of swearing an affidavit stating that both names are ***** ***** same person. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello, As stated in my question, the home office have already issued his naturalisation certificate with the requested spelling, which is slightly different to the spelling in his current passport.

If the Greek passport office will not agree to change the spelling, what can we do?

Could he apply for a British passport with the same spelling as his Greek passport if his naturalisation certificate is different?

Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou can only apply for a British passport bearing the name on your naturalisation certificate. It is very unclear how you obtained a naturalisation certificate bearing a name other than the name on your Greek passport. Usually in immigration applications, only names on official passports are used. You may change your name by deed poll.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Our marriage certificate uses Arhimandritis, as does my British passport and our daughter's passport. It's only the Greek passport which uses the different spelling so we requested the certificate to be issued with the same spelling as the rest of the family. We were not made aware at the time of application that there would be a problem with him applying for a British passport.

Given that this was the main reason he applied for UK citizenship, we now feel at a loss as to how to proceed.

Would the home office change the spelling at this stage to be the same as his passport? It would mean his surname being slightly different to rest of the family but if it means he can apply for his passport then fair enough?

Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
If the Greek authorities are refusing to change the name on his passport, the UK authorities are less likely to change it.I am happy to answer further questions if you would be kind enough to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I'm not getting anywhere here, I will try other sources of information.

I will not be happy to pay for your responses on this occasion.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but I think Ill leave for now and explore other avenues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Can you tell me why I have been charged for the above question which was left unanswered?! I actually made it clear on one of my responses that I was not happy to pay. I've just seen my back statement which confirms I've been charged £26.

I expect a full refund.

Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour questions were answered proportionally and as expected within the terms of JustAnswer. We do not provide legal advice on JustAnswer. If you require that level of service, you should contact an immigration lawyer outside of JustAnswer and pay their standard fee. Obtaining immigration advice in the UK is very expensive. JustAnswer provides an extremely affordable service to many who would not otherwise have access to immigration support and many of whom are grateful for this platform.