frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

My boyfriend is coming to visit me (I'm a UK Citizen) and has

My boyfriend is coming to visit me (I'm a UK Citizen) and has been refused entry at Heathrow. He was coming from the US on US travel documents, since he has asylum from Sudan (he has applied for US citizenship & is waiting for the final interview). He checked the UK government website in advance, (as have I) and it says that a visa is not needed for people with a US passport OR travel documents, but they are saying he needs a visa. It is at least being reviewed, but we are so worried.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry.US citizens do not require a visa to visit the UK for short periods. In some situations some US citizens are advised to apply for a visa before embarking on their journey to the UK to avoid situations your boyfriend experienced. Although your boyfriend has applied for US citizenship, he is not a US citizen and therefore he would require a visa. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the UK government website says that you do not need a tourist visa if you have a US travel document (which he does).
Only if the travel document evidences US citizenship.