Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

There, My name is***** am an

Customer Question

Hi there,
My name is***** am an EU (Bulgarian) passport holder married to a UK citizen. I moved to the UK last September and have applied to start work as a music teacher, which implies work with children.
I have spent all my life outside UK, and most of it in different countries following my husband, a foreign correspondent for the Reuters News Agency.
I received an Enhanced CRB (DBS I think it is called) without any problem, then I was asked to provide equivalent papers from the countries where I have lived the last 5 years, in my case Germany and Poland, which I also provided.
Now I am being told that in fact I have to provide such certificates for ALL countries where I have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 10! This implies another 4 countries, including the likes of Egypt, where I have doubts that my application would bear fruit...
My response to this is that I am an EU citizen and there should be a limit to this, they had said 5 years back, now they claim there is no such thing. Can anyone give me an informed answer to this? I am happy to enquire on my own, where should I turn? Which is the institution competent to enlighten me on this?
Your help is much appreciated, I am looking forward to hearing back, Krassimira
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Frantz I replied 8 months ago.
Hello Thank you for your enquiry. Is your question in relation to an application for an EEA registration certificate to evidence your rights to live and work in the UK as an EU citizen? It is not clear what your question is about and who is asking you for these information.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not talking of EEA registration certificate is and my question was NOT related to this. At no point was I asked to evidence my rights to live and work in the UK, as I have come to the country as a spouse of an UK citizen.My question is whether there is a law stating that EU citizens applying for work in the UK, in my case working as a teacher, e.g. with children, is under obligation to provide Criminal Record Certificates as far back as the time they were 10 years of age, as the recruitment agency claims?
As I stated in my question, it is the recruitment agency processing my papers who first asked to provide Non Criminal Record Certificates covering the last 5 years of my life, now they claim I need to do it for all 7 countries where I have lived, which goes back 30 years.
Am I, a EU citizen, under any obligation to do this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Another way of putting this: Criminal Record Certificates are an important part of a working applicant's portfolio. How many years back are newcomers to the UK obliged to provide these certificates for?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 8 months ago.
In that case your question has come through to theI will recategorise y immigration category because your message was not clear enough. Your original question did not state it was the recruitment agency asking these questions. I will re categorise your question under criminal law section.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe it is a merge between the two categories because the issue has arisen as a result of me being a non-UK citizen and someone who has lived in numerous (7) countries.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 8 months ago.
Ok I will opt out for someone else to address.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 8 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Nicola,
I don't mind waiting for you to find the right person for my query. I hope my question is clear. Looking forward to hearing back.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just let me sum up the question: I am an EU (Bulgarian) passport holder, married to a UK citizen. Due to my husband's work I have lived in 7 different countries, and only the last 6 months in the UK.
I am applying to start work and my papers are being processed by a recruitment agency to whom I have provided Criminal Record certificates from the UK, Germany and Poland (the last 2 countries where I lived prior to the UK) which covers the last 8 years of my life. Now the recruitment agency are claiming actually I have to provide such certificates from ALL countries where I have lived more than 12 months since I was 10. This goes some 30 years back and can prove quite difficult.
Am I UNDER LEGAL OBLIGATION to do this, e.g. is there A LAW that stipulates such a requirement, especially given I am a EU citizen, where exchange of information between police and legal authorities is in force anyway, or is this put to the discretion of the recruitment agency?
Thank you, Krassimira
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last little but important addition: I am applying for a teaching job, implying work with children, in whatever way this affects the requirement for Good Conduct certificates.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Nicola,
I am writing to you to express my disappointment over the handling of my issue. Not only has my question NOT been answered and "finding a professional" has dragged on for a long time (as opposed to the advertised "within 24 hours"). but just now I discovered I have been charged TWICE for something that I did not get. My question apart, the payment information you advertise is MISLEADING indeed, as it is presented as a deposit which I would give you the green light to draw IF I AM SATISFIED. What I see instead is that not only has your company drawn the sum of 34 GBP before I expressed satisfaction, but on an unclear basis and without my agreement the same amount of money has been drawn a second time! Your team of lawyers should know better how legal it is to misrepresent payment procedures, from my point of view as a customer this practice is simply not acceptable. In sum, please make a note that I CANCEL my query (my issue has in the meantime been resolved after I turned elsewhere for help) and I request that your company reimburse the money you have wrongly drawn. My question HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED, therefore would like to see the whole sum of 68 GBP (34x2) paid back.