UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a uk citizen. i married a portugese citizen in dec 2015.

Customer Question

I am a uk citizen. i married a portugese citizen in dec 2015. now in portugal. How does she get uk citizenship.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
Hello,She would need to live in the UK for 5 years first and then apply for permanent residency and once she gets this document to show she is a permanent resident, she may immediately thereafter apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.See here for further information
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your response.can I ask what is her status vis a vis entering uk with me? does she need visa? I know at present as a eu citizen she can come with me but if uk leaves the eu what then. she lived in uk from 2008 til December 2015 . does that time count towards the five years or does it have to be consecutive time. can there be breaks in this time? she had effective resident status for benefits when we were in uk. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorrydid you answer my supplementary question? bob b
She would have lost her permanent residency status by being away from the UK for more than 2 years, so her clock is reset.If the UK leaves the EU, there will be transitional arrangements to cater for people already here from the EU and it is unlikely that EU nationals already resident here will be kicked out straight away.She may also apply under Domestic UK immigration law for a spouse settlement visa if the UK removes the right to reside for EU nationals.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. She has only been away from UK from December this year i.e. Dec 12 -2015. Not 2 years. Sorry if this was not clear. Her "clock "w3as 2008 until then with odd two weeks visiting Portugal about twice a year. for the last three years we were living in uk and paying council tax and nat insurance etc. does this still count.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer this last point then I can conclude this conversation. regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer last point. as we married in uk and lived there til dec 2015, is my lady still in the time frame to get her citizenship?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't intend to close this til you respond to last point. bob b