Frantz I
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

My partner is Malaysian. She is with me in the UK on holiday

Customer Question

My partner is Malaysian. She is with me in the UK on holiday (entered on a tourist visa) . I have proposed. I would like to give notice to get married. I earn enough to support us both financially. Could you talk me through what the various visas she may need in the future. She plans to return to Malaysia before wedding (july 9th) , and then settle with me permanently on 1st September. (All visas to her getting permanent residency)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thank you for your enquiry and congratulations. As your partner is on a visitor's visa, she is not permitted to get married in the UK as doing so will be in breach of the conditions of her visitor's visa. Your partner must return to Malaysia to apply for the appropriate family based visa. A fiancee visa will enable her to return to the UK with the sole purpose of getting married and remaining in the UK after she has made a further family based visa. If your relationship has lasted at least 2 years she has an option to apply as an unmarried partner. If it your intention to get married outside the UK, she will have the option to apply for a family based visa as a spouse. In any event, your partner will be required to meet the financial requirement under Appendix FM i.e. you as her sponsor must be earning at least £18,600 per annum. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-marriages/marriage-and-civil-partnership/legal-paperwork/information-non-euNote the Or 1 paragraph where it talks about tourist visa - allowed to give notice to marry , am I missing something?Best wishesRaoul
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
There is a visa called marriage visa given for up to 6 months which is specifically for those who wish to enjoy the experience of getting married in the UK (expressly given for the purpose of marriage) but they must leave the UK after the marriage. When your partner applied to visit the UK she would have stated in her application that she was visiting the UK as a tourist. Getting married in the UK under a general visitor's visa is expressly prohibited unless she has the appropriate visa which allows her to get married or give notice. Please note that the link you provided is not the official UK government link to the requirements of a general visitor's visa.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very clear advice . Thanks.She is going to return to Malaysia and apply for ‘family of a settled person’ visa . (This will allow a marriage ? ) After this what do you recommend?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am happy to answer further questions when the first has been rated if you would be so kind.
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure will rate now
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Hello so if your partner returns to Malaysia she will have the following options for a visa1. Apply for a fiancee visa which will allow her to return to the UK, get married in the UK and then apply for a family based visa as a spouse to remain permanently in the UK.2. Apply for an unmarried couple visa but then she will need to show evidence that your relationship has been for at leads 2 years. This visa allows marriage in the UK 3. Yu both get married in Malaysia then she applies in Malaysia for a family based visa as a spouse.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiIn fact it is NOT Prohibited to get married if you are here on a Visitors Visa - you are legally entitled to do so.However if the purpose of your visit is to get married then you need a marriage visaThe website you referred to is absolutely correct and is a legitimate source of informationClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are you aware that the site charges extra for a phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare still trying to work out how this website works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would like to speak to you..dont mind paying more...etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe direct chat?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Standard Visitor visahttps://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa You CANNOT get married in the UK on a standard visitor's visa. What you can and can’t doYou can:take part in any of the business-related activities mentioned in the Visitor Rulesstudy for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visittake part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18)convert your civil partnership into a marriageYou can’t:do paid or unpaid worklive in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visitsget public fundsmarry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnershipRead the guidance for more information about what you can and can’t do with a Standard Visitor visa.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.
Only if you have a specific visa called marriage/civil partnership visitor's visa. The user partner has a standard visitor's visa.