Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am currently on a Tier 2 visa valid until August 2018. However

I am currently on a Tier 2 visa valid until August 2018. However I would like to terminate my contract in order to start studying in the UK full time. Would I be able to apply for a student visa while still in the UK? Or would I have to leave the country in order to apply for the student visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you. You may switch from a Tier 2 General visa to an adult student visa (Tier 4). You will see from the following page that you are able to switch:https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/switch-to-this-visa See the second bullet point on the page for confirmation of this.Obviously you have to be careful as to when you hand in your notice for your current job (ie. your sponsor) to ensure that it ties in with the time you anticipate that you will be able to apply for your student visa with you CAS (confirmation of acceptance of studies) letter though. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response! The part I am not sure about is the condition for when do you apply. According to the website, I cannot apply for the student visa more than 3 months before my current visa expires. My visa won't expire until 2018 and I want to start studying September 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiYes, a strict reading of the criteria is that you would have to wait until 3 months before your visa expires, or otherwise terminate your current visa and return to your home country to make the application from there..