frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I will be applying citizenship next month after receiving

I will be applying for UK citizenship next month after receiving my ILR on the basis as a spouse of a UK citizen. My Nigerian passport expires on the 26th May, would I need to renew it before applying?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for your enquiry. If you were issued with a Biometric Residence Permit, you must provide it alongside your passport. The guideline does not indicate that the passport must be current. **********************************************************************This is a simple question and answer platform. Answers expressed by the author in this platform are solely base upon the information provided by you. Under no circumstances should answers be relied up as immigration advice. Please note that the author accepts no responsibility for any reliance and it is your responsibility to seek independent legal advice before making any immigration application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have my biometrics permit so to confirm i do not need to renew my passport before applying?When applying for my 1st spouse visa back in June 2012, it was refused and one of the reasons given was due to me overstaying on a visitors visa, we had an expedited appeal which was granted and i applied for ILR last may which was also granted. Can they refuse Citizenship on the basis of overstaying previously on my visiting visa?
I am happy to answer further questions when the first has been rated.
HelloThe guideline does not indicate you have to renew your passport. You have a current biometrics permit. You would need to submit both.The good character requirement is a requirement in an application for naturalisation. The good character requirement is not tightly defined. The Home Office may refuse citizenship where an applicant failed to comply with any conditions imposed under the Immigration Acts.