Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am born in UK citizen and permanent resident. My wife of

I am born in UK citizen and permanent resident. My wife of ten years holds an Estonian
passport. What are the are the implications of brexit ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. Has your wife exercised her treaty rights (eg. by working/studying/being self-sufficient) in the UK for 5 years?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks. I should be able to answer by 9.30am.Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.The precise implications for EEA nationals based in the UK are not known in the present time. However, there will doubtless be some transitional arrangements and it is highly unlikely that EEA nations will be required to leave the UK. In particular, because your wife has already been in the UK exercising her treaty rights for five years, she would be regarded as having permanent residence. Permanent residence is the right to remain in the UK without applying for any further residence cards. However, she should strongly consider applying for confirmation of her permanent status now before the referendum. The following link contains guidance on how she can apply and the requirements in terms of what evidence you must submit. If she makes this application before the referendum then there is absolutely no doubt that her status in the UK would be secure. Once she has obtained permanent residence you can review the ultimate implications of the referendum and check to see whether she is then required to apply for naturalisation. If she is required to apply for naturalisation then she can do so by following the guidance on the following page. Basically because she is an EEA citizen who has been in the UK for five years and is also married to you (a UK citizen) her status is not in any serious doubt but it would make practical sense for her to obtain documentary proof in the form of permanent residence as soon as possible but you should note that after she has applied she would have to submit her passport and would ultimately be without this until her permanent residence is decided and there will certainly be a huge increase in applications following the referendum, and quite possibly also in the time leading upto the referendum. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom