Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My Mexican son in law has been granted a marriage visa with

Customer Question

My Mexican son in law has been granted a marriage visa with right to remain for 2 and a half years. What does he have to do at end of this time he now has settlement visa
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Jean, your Mexican son in law should apply for a further spouse visa on the expiry of the initial two and a half year visa. This subsequent visa will also be for two and a half years. This will take him up to being five years living and working in the UK. At that point, he can apply for permanent residence or Indefinite Leave to Remain as it is called. This gives him the right to live permanently in the UK. This is properly known as settlement in the UK. One year later, he can then apply for UK citizenship should he wish. In this way, he has a path to UK citizenship owing to his marriage to your daughter.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.