chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My grandmother was born in Bangalore. I am a British

my grandmother was born in Bangalore.
I am a British passport holder living currently in UK but can I get Indian citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi, As far as I am aware, the Indian Government does not allow you to hold dual nationality. Therefore, in order to obtain Indian Nationality, you will have to relinquish your UK Nationality. However, you should be eligible to apply for NRI (Non Resident Indian status). I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate my answer and provide feedback.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does none resident status allow me to hold a Indian passport or have citizenship of india?
Hi,In short, No. You will be a Non-Resident Indian and will not have the same rights as holders of Indian passports. It will, however, allow you to travel to and from India without obtaining a Visa.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate my answer and provide feedback.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking to play cricket in India. To qualify as Local Player for IPL. I am unsure of how your answer above affects this status. As a none resident Indian is there some clarity on this part you could perhaps provide
Hi, This should not affect your ability to play cricket in India, however, if you do not have NRI status or Indian Nationality, you would have to apply for a specific visa to allow you to play in India.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback. Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** trying to establish if I would qualify to play for India National Team as NRI.
Hi,I believe you need to be a National of India to be eligible to play for the national team.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.Kind regards