chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

OK this is an interesting one. I am a British National by

Customer Question

OK this is an interesting one. I am a British National by birth living in London. My wife to be is a Kenyan National currently living in Nairobi.
In January we tried to register to marry in Nairobi but I was told by the Kenyan authorities that I needed a document called Certificate of No Impediment to Marry - as my decree absolute was over 5 years old.
I returned to the UK and approached the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to acquire the document, but have now been told that they do not issue the Certificate of No Impediment for marriages in Commonwealth Countries. I don't now know what to do as the Kenyan authorities won't allow us to marry without it...help
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,You should be able to obtain the certificate you require from your local registry office.A cwrtificate of no imoedoment is a doceny which xonfirms that yiu are not married in the UK.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards