Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

How can I get my friend in Latvia who lives in poverty with

Customer Question

How can I get my friend in Latvia who lives in poverty with her mother & 2 daughters to live in the UK?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When will you get in touch with me about this..
My friend's daughters are 11 & 7 and the 7 year old isn't in full time school so my friend can't work plus her mother has health issues. If she lived near me I could help her out. I'm hoping to having a baby so I won't be able to help as much as I have been but I can if she is near me. The girls would need intenseenglish lessons but I live opposite a primary & secondary school.
PlusI will need some help with my baby if I get that far so an employ her for a few hours a day if she can get a part time job. The only help we really need help with Is the rent. Last year I had to pay for her roof to be mended as her landlord wouldn't. Four of the, live in 2 rooms & one just has a bed in. Please help as we are like a family just not related by blood & would like to be together which would help us both
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All her furniture is falling to pieces and her mother and elder daughter don't sleep on a bed but on a old sofa. I have been helping them for the last 8 years but now we would like to be together as I hope to have a child which would mean I wouldn't be able to help as much or pay for flights. We are in a desperate situation as we are as close as family but not actually related. We are in contact almost daily if not weekly & the joke is my cousins who are blood related I never see!! I was hoping to get them here on humanitarian terms as the condition are so dreadful. My friend is a hard worker & I met her when she was a cabin stewardess on the Cunard Queen Victoria. Can you help us ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My email is***@******.***
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 months ago.
HiAre your friend/her mother /daughters all Latvian citizens? If not please state their nationality.. Tom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they are
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 months ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.If they are all Latvian citizens then they are EEA nationals (this means European economic area). This means that they are free to travel to the UK on their Latvian passports in order to come to the UK in order to work/study/be self sufficient .Therefore, they can travel to the UK without applying for a visa as things stand at the moment.Obviously, there is the EU referendum shortly. If the UK votes to remain in the EU then their position will be unchanged. If the UK votes to leave the Eu then arrangements will be put in place, but no ones knows what these will be at the moment. It will certainly mean that they will have to apply for a visa (if UK votes to leave the EU) but no ones knows if there will be new visa categories for EU citizens. So, at the moment they can come as soon as they make their own arrangements, but if the UK votes to leave the EU then they will have to review the situation once the government has decided what to do. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem is they are not self suffient & I can't afford to pay for them to live here so what can we do?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
However my friend coukd work if the girls are in full time education. The girls however would need intense English lessons before they would be able to go to school.
It ?just so happens that the house opposite me is up for letting, I just wish I had the money to furnish it & get then to move in there & I want better for them than they have now which us terrible p. Plesse help.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, There is on government fund to help foreign nationals relocated. They must seek to fund it themselves.They are privvate individuals and are therefore responsible for where they live, how they support/accomodate themselves and whether moving to a country with children who do not speak the language is a prudent thing to do. I am sorry but there is no public fund or assistance that can help them at this stage. Please remember to rate my answer.Tom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If this is the case how do all these other people with no money & who don't work get accommodation & benefits from the government
Isabel
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, That's a bit of a myth. All foreign nationals are responsible for funding their way to the UK. Once an EEA national has been in the UK for 6-12 months they can attempt to claim benefits, but they get no help until that point. They are also not guaranteed to get public housing becasue there is a list of people requiring it and they cannot skip the queue of people that need housing. Tom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is no way I could get her into the country & she receive anything until she finds a job
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, She would not received any benefits at all until she has been here for probably about a year. She can attempt find a job as soon as she comes though. Tom
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But where can she live
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's a hopeless case?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 months ago.
Wherever she can afford. If she cannot afford to accommodate herself then she would be looking at shelters. For thsi reason it would be unwise to move to the UK without being able to accommodate herself.