chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My birth was registered at British High commission Tanzania

Customer Question

my birth was registered at British High commission Tanzania in 1957. Since then I have been carrying a british overseas citizen passport. am i eligible for proper british citizenship and what form should I fill up to apply.?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't mean to respond to this.Opting out.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Where are you currently living?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
india
Hi,If you have a British overseas citizen passport, you will be required to live in the UK for a period of time before being eligible for full citizenship. A British Overseas Citizen is still subject to immigration control and does not have the right to live and work in the UK without permission.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the british high commission in Delhi had told me that all British overseas citizens are eligible for fun;l citizenship, even if they do not live in the UK. Kindly recheck and advise.
Hi,The British high commission in India may have mentioned that you may be able to register as a UK citizen, this is correct and is different from naturalisation. However, in order to be able to register, you need to comply with the following:-You may be able to register as a British citizen if you hold any form of British Nationality and either:you’ve lived in the UK for at least 5 years - and spent no more than 450 days abroad during that time, and no more than 90 days abroad in the last 12 monthsyou’ve worked in Crown service at any timeYou’ll get citizenship ‘otherwise than by descent’ if your application is successful. Your children can also be British citizens.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,