chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I'm a British National, and I would like to bring my

Customer Question

I'm a British National, and I would like to bring my girlfriend to the uk on a fiance visa. She is Iranian but has links to Ukraine (grew up there and has immediate family there). She would like to be able to return to iran sometime in the future so it's vital we respect the Iranian customs and carry out an iranian marriage (permanent or temporary..were not sure) which we plan to do in ukraine. The plan was then to bring her back to uk on a fiance visa as the iranian marriage wouldn't be recognised in ukraine. We'd then get married within 6 months in uk. We think this would be easier than applying for a marriage visa. Is this the best way? what documents are necessary? Also, listed in the requirements is suitable accommodation..I currently live in a studio flat, would I have to move to a bigger flat before she could be granted a visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

Does your fiancee have a Ukrainian passport also?

Is your studio flat big enough for a couple and have a double bed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. No, she doesn't ,but she can get it. Yes I have a double bed

Whether you apply for a spouse visa or fiancee visa is up to you but you will.need to show that you meet the requirements for finances and accommodation. You will need to show that you earn a salary of at least £18,600.00 and have been at least for 6 months.

If granted the fiancee visa, you will have to marry within 6 months and then apply for a spouse visa.

The alternative is marrying in Ukraine or Iran and then applying for a spouse visa.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What about the status of an islamic marriage (Iranian) in Ukraine. For us it's a religious obligation but would it affect our eligibility for a fiancee visa?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the difference in price between marriage visa and fiancee visa. Is there any advantage in having Ukranian passport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the process for fiancee visa faster than marriage visa

If she marries in Iran and then applies, it makes no difference. I cannot comment on whether the marriage would be deemed valid in Ukraine but I cannot see why not if it is legally valid in Iran.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long does it usually take to process the fiancee visa from submission of documents?

It can take up to 6 months. Same for a spouse visa

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.