How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Frantz I Your Own Question
Frantz I
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 404
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Frantz I is online now

I have a Filipina wife, we will be bringing her child

Resolved Question:

I have a Filipina wife, we will be bringing her child initially to the UAE where we currently live and then next year applying for a spouse visa for them both to come to the UK. My wife's visa will be a spouse visa in the UK but getting a residence visa from UAE for the child is more difficult. Is it possible to apply for the child to join us in the UK if she is on a visit visa in the UAE?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I mean my wife's visa will be a spouse visa in the UAE. We will be applying for UK spouse/family visa. In the application details online it says all applicants need to provide proof of their residency status in the country they are applying from. It is difficult to get a step child visa here but easy to get a 3 month visit visa for the child.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.


It may be possible if the child is a minor and dependent on you wife. Otherwise the child should be making an application from the Philippines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The child is 18 months old and is sole dependant of my wife, we cannot get a letter from the father as he was never in the picture but he is not listed on the birth certificate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You say "may" be possible, does my further answer confirm the criteria that will make it a definite?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.

It is not possible to say for definite because the UK policy states that you "should" apply from your country of residence and if you have permission to stay in a country other than your country of residence as a visitor for 6 months you are not resident. Given your child is only 18 months you would need to state why the child is applying from UAE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much more hassle is it to apply for the visa for the child from the Philippines? Will it cost the same no matter where the child is?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.

It shouldn't be any more hassle than it would be applying anywhere given that the requirements are the same. The cost should be the same but there maybe local costs involved, I don't know. You will need to check with the British embassy in the Philippines.

Please if you could rate, I would be grateful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****Last question (I hope) there is no reason why I can't apply for both VISAs, my wife's from here in UAE and her daughters in Philippines and then assuming they are both granted... my wife fly from here in the UAE to get the child in the Philippines and then wife fly back to UAE with child on 1 month visit VISA for us all to fly out to UK from UAE within a short period of time? I think that question makes sense, I had to read it and re-word it a couple of times but I think you will know what I am asking.
Expert:  Frantz I replied 1 year ago.

If they are granted a visa to the UK they can travel from the UAE to the UK if the child is on a 1 months visit visa to the UAE.

Frantz I and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions