Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

I am a UK citizen and I am the father of two children borne

I am a UK citizen and I am the father of two children borne in Thailand to a Thai national mother. The Children have both UK and Thai passports and have traveled to the UK 3 times. Our marriage has crumbled and the mother has expressed the wish that I bring the children to the UK so they can be brought up and educated here. They are currently 5yrs and 4yrs and both in Thai primary schooling.
I want to know if I can simply bring them into the country on a one way ticket and take it from there, or are there formalities that need to be set up beforehand?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Make sure that you have a letter from the mother confirming her agreement to your permanently removing the children to the UK.

Nothing else is required.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need their Thai passports &Thai birth certificates? When they get to the UK can I simply approach local government and say I need a school for them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Furthermore does the letter from the mother need to be proven in any way?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Yes you shoudl bring their birth certificates with you.

When you settle in the Uk you will need to find a Primary School with space to take them on.

The letter should be witnessed but nothing more complex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I am confused about the payment terms for your advice. My Paypal account has already been debited 34 pounds and I see a box above to click through to a free trail for 7 days and then that amount would be collected monthly. I don't really think this advice alone is worth 34 pounds as I have already been told this by the Citizens Advice Bureau (but they weren't 100% sure) and then your disclaimer puts your advice in the same category.If I click on free trial, is your advice included in that? I don't actually expect to need more services in the near future.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I shall ask Customer services to deal with this for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare, you remind me to rate this advice. Can you tell me if this question has ever come up before and if you know of any cases where it has been tested? I.e. are you quite sure of this advice (despite the disclaimer)?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Which part are you uncertain of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am simply uncertain that I can arrive in the UK with my two children armed only with a witnessed letter from the mother and that is enough for them to enter permanently. I just need to be clear that no formal arrangement is required before they turn up. Does any one or any organisation need to be notified? Also, if it is correct that all I need is a letter, does it need any specific wording?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Your children are British Citizens and are entitled to enter the Uk with their parent - you.

The only reason that you need the letter is so that in the event that your wife regrets agreeing to the arrangement and trie sto claim that you abducted the children you have the evidence that this is not true.

There is no specific wording - it simply needs to make clear that she knew they were moving permanently to the UK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Clare