chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have been living in the UK years, and my wife 12 years.

Hi there,
I have been living in the UK for 11 years, and my wife 12 years. Both of our children were born in the UK. We have been owning a property for 5 years and are both employed in the UK. We have French passports and have not been naturalised.
The question relates to the potential consequences of Brexit, should the UK vote to leave the EU, is there a law that protects us to stay in the UK as residents, since we have been here for a long time etc.. as described above?
Steeve.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

The only way you would be able to remain, unless the UK negotiates a type of settlement, is to obtain Permanent Residence. In order to do this, you would need to submit an application to the UK Home Office for permanent residence.

To be successful, you must prove that you have been in the UK for at lest 5 years.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please o not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,