How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Frantz I Your Own Question

Frantz I
Frantz I, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 313
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Frantz I is online now

My partner (US national) and I (UK national) are trying to

Customer Question

My partner (US national) and I (UK national) are trying to get a VISA for her and her children to move to the UK. We completed a settlement visa application and they then asked for an Appendix 2. This was submitted and they have refused the application as they claim not to have received it. We are not married but have been together for 3 years.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Frantz I replied 10 months ago.


Thank you for your enquiry.

Your application along side the Appendix 2 form should have been submitted together. Did you submit by registered mail? On what grounds did they refuse your partner's visa. You dont have to be married to apply for a family based visa.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand that they should have gone together but they sent a request for the appendix 2 which was returned by email the same day.
They have denied my partner on the basis that the form was not submitted and that the evidence did not support that we have been living as a married couple despite the 3 year distance relationship.
The children were denied on the grounds of their Mom not being approved.
In addition to these reasons they have now said we should have provided 6 months of payslips but it is unclear if this is for me as sponsor or her as the applicant. She cannot get to the UK to start work as they have their passports and you can't work or go to school on a visitors visa, can you?
Is there any way to get them in to the country and then begin the application / appeal from this end? She has given up work in the US and the youngest needs to start school in September?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 10 months ago.

Ok. The Appendix 2 form is for financial information and given that you have not mentioned that the Home Office hasnt denied on the basis of not meeting the financial requirement then it isnt just because the form was not submitted.The Home Office have given substantive grounds for refusal - lack of evidence and not proving that your relationship is genuine and subsisting.

The financial requirement is tested against you as the sponsor. So you would need to provide your payslips and evidence of your employment and earning. Your partner cannot start working in the UK even if her passport was returned unless she previously had a Tier 2 visa. Your partner cannot work on a visitors visa and her children cannot go to school on a visitors visa unless the children are British.

Unfortunately there is no way of entering the UK without the appropriate visa. Your partner will need to make a fresh application and provide substantive evidence of your relationship and how you (sponsor) meet the financial requirement. This application should never have been done without legal help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just spoken to the help line who state we can either appeal or apply again. Which will have the highest chance of a quick success?
Expert:  Frantz I replied 10 months ago.

I would be grateful to be rated thank you.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm

Related Immigration Law Questions