Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

In 2000 I went to live in Cyprus and was married to a

Customer Question

In 2000 I went to live in Cyprus and was married to a Lithuanian lady in Cyprus on 15th December 2000. In September 2014 we returned to the UK and bought a house in Leeds.
My Question is how can my wife attain British Citizenship and how much would it cost us? I am 72 years old and my wife is 63
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is your wife claiming benefits?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I will be able to answer at 9 a.m. Tom. .

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Your wife is an EEA citizen. This means that provided she has exercised her EEA treaty rights by working/studying or being self sufficient (ie. not claiming excessive benefits) for a period of 5 years then she can apply for confirmation of her Permanent Residence status.

Having Permanent residence means that she would not have to make any further immigration application in order to remain permanently living in the UK.

If you are a UK citizen then once she has PR she can apply to naturalise as a UK citizen if she meets the requirements on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

If you are not a UK citizen then she would have to wait 12 months from when she receives PR and then she could apply to naturalise as a UK citizen provided she meets the criteria on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply

Once she has received her certificate of naturalisation after naturalising and attended a short citizenship ceremony then she can apply for a UK passport and would have all the rights that other UK citizens have.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your answer, but you did not say how much it will cost to attain British citizenship or if there is even a fee in doing so.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

There is an £65 to apply for confirmation of PR.

There is also a fee to apply to naturalise of £1236 (at the moment, it may change by the time she actually applies.

Please do remember to leave positive feedback.

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback.

Kind regards,

Tom