chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I came to the UK on a student dependant visa, when I had 3

Customer Question

I came to the UK on a student dependant visa, when I had 3 months left on my visa I seek for asylum and I was granted 5 years I now have Indefinite leave to remain. I now want to apply for citizenship but, when I was seeking for asylum the three months I had left on my visa finished while the home office was processing my application, my question is does this count as illegal stay. Because according to the 2014 immigration law there is a requirement to stay in the UK legally for 10 years. Those this law apply to my condition?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

Provided you submitted your application before your visa expired, if the home office take longer to process your application and your previous visa expired, your previous permission will continue until such time as the application has been processed. Therefore, you would not have overstayed.

If you have now held ILR for at least 12 months, you would be eligible to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what if my dependant visa was revoked because I applied for asylum and there for was not depending on my sponsor, would this count as illegal stay. Can it be revoked as a result, If so when will the count as illegal stay start is it immediately I applied for asylum.

Please explain further