Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have enquiries about british citizenship and hope to get

Customer Question

I have enquiries about british citizenship and hope to get the right answer.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What is your specific question please?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,
just want to know, If Mr A applied for british citizenship while he is claiming benefit, and then got it as his application had been approved, then one month later he had been chrarged with benefit fraud and convicted from the period before his application for citizenship.
now, would homeoffice deprive his citizenship because of that? on ground of fraud, false representatio and concealment material facts?
thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

It’s difficult to be certain, but the home office can deprive someone of their citizenship where the application to naturalise contained information which would have affected the individual’s ability to meet the good character requirement.

So, by fraudulently claiming benefits would probably be regarded as Deceitful or Dishonest Dealings with Her Majesty’s Government. This is a ground on which a person could fail to meet the good character requirement, which would mean that the naturalisation application would have been refused.

Therefore, the home office would have a basis on which to seek to revoke the person’s citizenship.

Whether or no they would seek to do so in this case depends on whether or not they actually become aware of it and the degree to which the deception has occurred.

I would basically say that there is a risk, though not an immediate or absolute risk of revocation of citizenship and the person is simply going to have to wait and see.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your answer.