Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I was born in Belgium to a British Father and a Belgian

HI, I was born in Belgium to a British Father and a Belgian mother who were married before I was born. From reading the internet I should already qualify as British. Does this mean I can just apply for a passport or do I need to fill in some kind of registration or other forms before doing so?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

When were you born please?

Was your father born in the UK before 1983?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas, Yes he was born in 1947.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, please also state when you were born?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born in Belgium in 1977
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If you were born outside the UK before 1983 to a British father who was born in the UK and you mother and father were married at the time of your birth then you are automatically a UK citizen by descent.

This means that provided you can prove the above facts of your birth then you can apply for a UK passport without having to register as a UK citizen first.

However, you should check that Belguum allows dual citizenship (I think it does), provided it does then you can apply for a UK passport.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom