Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I was born in Belgium to a British Father and a Belgian

HI, I was born in Belgium to a British Father and a Belgian mother who were married before I was born. From reading the internet I should already qualify as British. Does this mean I can just apply for a passport or do I need to fill in some kind of registration or other forms before doing so?

When were you born please?

Was your father born in the UK before 1983?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas, Yes he was born in 1947.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now.

Sorry, please also state when you were born?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born in Belgium in 1977

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If you were born outside the UK before 1983 to a British father who was born in the UK and you mother and father were married at the time of your birth then you are automatically a UK citizen by descent.

This means that provided you can prove the above facts of your birth then you can apply for a UK passport without having to register as a UK citizen first.

However, you should check that Belguum allows dual citizenship (I think it does), provided it does then you can apply for a UK passport.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom