Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Citizen 49 years old My parner is Portuguese has lived in

Customer Question

Hi There
i am British citizen 49 years old
My parner is Portuguese has lived in the UK 15 years
we have 2 children
the eldest who is 13 was born in England , but at the time we were told he couldn't get a UK passport so he has a Portuguese passport
my youngest is 9 also born in England and has Britsih passport
is it possible to obtain a British passport for my 13 year old and how is that done
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Simon, both your children can apply for a British citizenship based on their birth in England. Here is a link to the UK Government website which explains the situation where a child has been born in the UK since 1983 https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/born-in-uk-after-1983. There is a link to form MN1 which you can fill in for each of your two children. I don't know who advise you that you couldn't get a passport but both are eligible to apply for a passport based on your UK citizenship.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.