Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My Polish girlfriend has lived and worked in the UK 7 years.

My Polish girlfriend has lived and worked in the UK for about 7 years. Now we are leaving the EU as she only has a Polish passport should she have something else?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What nationality are you please?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am British
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

She will be fine. Her right to stay in the UK is highly unlikely to be in jeopardy. It is not mandatory that she must have anything other than her passport.

Because she has worked in the UK for longer than 5 years, she would be regarded as having “permanent residence”. However, because she has not (I presume) yet applied for confirmation of her PR you do not actually have a document which formally states that she has it. Having a PR card is not a requirement, but it can be helpful.

So, I would suggest that she applies for PR (https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card ). Once she has this, it is proof of her right to remain in the UK without making any further immigration applications.

One small note of caution is that it takes around 6 months to be given the permanent residence card after she applies and she would be without her passport for the whole duration of the time they are deciding the application so she would have to reconcile herself with not travelling outside the UK during this period of time.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help do you know how much the right of resides card costs?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I believe the fee is £65 but you should check again before she applies because I can see them increasing it due to the likelihood that there will be lots of applicants following on from the referendum.

Please remember to leave positive feedback

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again hopefully that will stop her crying
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she should certainly not be worried to the point of crying.

PLease remember to leave positive feedback..