Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am polish and i have been a resident in uk 11 years. i

Customer Question

hi.
i am polish and i have been a resident in uk for over 11 years. i would like to apply for a citizenship. i already pass the life in uk test. the problem is i have a criminal record - teft by emploee. i only received it this April - iv got 6 month suspended sentence over 12 months and a fee to pay. would i still be able to apply for a citizenship?
thank you.
regards Kay
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Have you applied for and obtained permanentresidence?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not yet, but I am planning to do it now
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kay,

When were you convicted of the offence please?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was convicted on 6th of April 2016
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience.

The difficulty is the conviction. If you have received a suspended prison sentence then it’s likely that your application for PR would probably be rejected under the offence is spent.

If you received a suspended prison sentence of 6 months or less then the rehabilitation period would likely be 24 months from the date of conviction. If you apply before 24 months have passed (so April 2018) then the application will probably be reject.

You must obtain confirmation of your PR before you apply to naturalise, due to a rule change.

So, you will probably have to wait until May 2018 before you apply for PR, you will have to mitigate and explain the offence in your application, as well as provided character references confirming your good character.

Once you have PR, you will have to wait 12 months and then apply to naturalise provided that you meet the criteria on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/after-youve-applied

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you!
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Please remember to rate my answer positively by using the stars at the top of the page..

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom