Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am an Italian citizen and I came to live in the UK in 1997

I am an Italian citizen and I came to live in the UK in 1997 and lived here continuously until 2011. In October 2011 I moved to France and I came back to live in the UK in June 2014. Do I need to wait until October 2019 to apply for permanent residence in the UK? Or can I apply now?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, as you have left the UK for a period of time you would not be able to apply for PR now.

This is because there is a considerable break in the time that you have been in the UK and you will be regarded as resuming exercising your treaty rights when you entered the UK again in 2014, which you have correctly interpreted as meaning that you would be eligible in 2019 for PR.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom