Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Am a Swedish citizen; have lived in UK since 2001; work City

Customer Question

Am a Swedish citizen; have lived in UK since 2001; work for Manchester City Council and hold a Masters degree in economics from the University of Manchester. I am not a holder of a Permanent Residence Card. Am I eligible to applying for UK citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

MicrosoftInternetExplorer402DocumentNotSpecified7.8Normal0

Thanks for your patience.

I am afraid you are not yet eligible.

This is because you have not obtained a PR card. The rules were changed about a year ago, so that applicants for naturalisation must hold a PR card if they are EEA nationals.

So, you must first apply for PR and obtain it before you naturalise. Details on how you can apply are on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card

IF the home office confirm that you have had PR from a date prior to the date they actually issue the card then you can apply for naturalisation once year has passed since that date.

If the home office do not acknowledge that you held PR prior to the date that they actually issue the card then you will have o wait until 12 months have passed since the issue of the PR card.

When you apply for naturalisation you must ensure that you meet the criteria on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,