Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have been married to a Kuwaiti last 20 years. Our children

Customer Question

I'm English and I have been married to a Kuwaiti for the last 20 years. Our children have British passports and I was wondering how to obtain a British passport for my husband. We live and work in Bahrain so can't do the residency requirements. Is there any other way?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, not.

The only way for non-EEA spouses married to UK nationals to obtain UK citizenship is by settling in the UK with the UK spouse by applying for a spouse visa.

Once the spouse visa is granted they must reside here for 5 years (extending the spouse visa once) and then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Once they have ILR only then can they apply for naturalisation and thereafter a UK passport.

There is absolutely no flexibility in this rule at all, I’m afraid .

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom