Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

I have a card US which expires on August 16th 2016, if I

I have a green card for the US which expires on August 16th 2016, if I file to renew it can I still travel to the US after this date?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) Is your greencard a (a) 2 year conditional card, or, (b) a 10 year residence card?

2) When did you leave the US last - the month and year, please?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A 10 year residential card I left the US at the end of May this year only for 2 weeks
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

First of all, be aware that someone on a greencard cannot stay out of USA for too long - see HERE.

Having said that, still, if seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired greencard. So you want to come back BEFORE the card expires. And you may face trouble until/unless you have a valid greencard (and not just a pending renewal).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.