Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I've an Irish passport and I'd like to get UK

I've an Irish passport and I'd like to get UK permanent residence. I've been resident in the UK for 13 years. I was working for 12 of those years and I took a break from work last year. I did not take out private medical insurance when I quit as I didn't know about this rule for self-sufficiency. Will I be okay applying for permanent residence since I can prove over five years of continuous employment - just not in the past year.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

I should be able to answer in about 15 mins or so..

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

The comprehensive sickness insurance issue complicates the situation a bit and for this reason I would strongly suggest that you in instruct a solicitor to prepare your PR application.

Basically, an EEA national is regarded as having PR after exercising your treaty rights in the UK for 5 years. So you should really be regarded as already having PR by the time that you stopped working last year and did not obtain sickness insurance.

However, this is a point that you will have to make to the home office in the application and demonstrate the prior 5 years. The home office caseworkers really aren’t the best at resolving and understanding issues like this which is why the point needs to be made by a solicitor in your application by drafting the necessary statements that you will execute.

Provided the point is made very clearly by a solicitor you should still be okay .

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom