Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have Irish and Canadian passports. I understand the

I have Irish and Canadian passports. I understand the permanent residence application may take 6-8 months. Can I submit a certified copy of my passport? If not and I submit my Irish passport, then can I travel in and out of the UK on my Canadian passport?What is the rational for restricting travel for 6-8 months? I feel uncomfortable doing this as I have aged parents in Canada? What if I need to travel for work?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, you have to submit originals. The last time I checked they did not accept certified copies.

They don’t really justify their requirements, they just state what they are and then it’s for applicants to comply with. They are very intransigent about it.

You may consider sending both your originals and certified copies of your passport and asking in your covering letter for them to exercise discretion and consider examining the original passport first and then retaining the certified copies for their file. You can state that if they are not minded to do this then you want the application and documents in entirety returned to you and see if this works.

I expect they will require you submit both passports, but again you can consider asking for one to be returned to you.

However, I would not travel outside of the UK on your Canadian passport because you will need to re-enter the UK and your Canadian passport would not have a visa on it. So, the home office entry clearance officers would be likely to refuse entry because you would not be able to produce evidence of your Irish nationality because your Irish passport/ID card would be with the home office

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom