Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I came into the UK in 2004 and claim asylum, was given

I came into the UK in 2004 and claim asylum, was given indefinite leave to remain in 2009,want to put in for UK citizenship, am I eligible?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience.

How many days have you spent outside the uk in the last 5 years?

How many days have you spent outside the uk in the last 12 months?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never been out of the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I got my indefinite leave, I have never been out of the UK
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

You can apply for naturalisation in order to naturalise as a UK citizen.

You appear to meet the residential criteria for naturalisation and you can apply provided that you meet the rest of the criteria on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply

Details on how you can apply are contained here:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/how-to-apply

Once you have obtained your certificate of naturalisation, you will have to attend a citizenship ceremony. Once you have attended the ceremony you can apply for UK passport.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have to wait after 10 years since I got my Neutralisation yo put in for citizenship, because I was told by the check and send service that I have to wait after 10 years which Is 2019 before I can apply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have met with all that I need to put in for British citizenship, but was told by the check and send lady that she call the home office and they told her that I have to wait until 2019 because when I came and put in for asylum in 2004 I was refused in 2005 which I did appeal again with my daughter and partner and didn't get anything until 2009 when we got our indefinite leave to remain.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, if you applied for asylum without having leave to remain and your original asylum application was refused then they would probably regard you as being in breach of the immigration rules at this time.

This means that they would probably refuse the application if you made it before 10 years from the date that you receive ILR. So, if you received ILR in 2009 then it's probable that an application made before 2019 would be refused.

So, you must see what 10 years from the date that you received ILR was and then wait until then and then apply.

Please do remember to leave feedback.

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are refused asylum but still sighing and still under the home office is it a breach of immigration rules?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

It would be regarded as a breach if you did not have leave to remain when you made the asylum application, yes.

Please remember to leave positive feedback.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was it 5 years before, when did the law came in for 10 years?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

5 years is if there is no break of the immigration rules. 10 years is if there had been a breach.

It's been like this for quite a long time.

Please leave feedback.

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Kind regards,

Tom