Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Is there anyway to apply exception to citizenship if I was

Is there anyway to apply for an exception to citizenship if I was born in the uk?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, can you provide a few more details about your question please?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm an American who was born in Oxford england in 1987. I was wondering if it was possible to obtain dual citizenship ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. You refer to "an exception" in your original question. Is there any reason why you think you would NOT be able to apply for citizenship?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe in 1983 they had revoked citizenship thru birth in England.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I just had to check there were no other reasons.

Where and when were your parents born?

Did your parents ever receive "indefinite leave to remain" or "permanent residence" in the UK and, if so, when did they receive this?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My parents are American.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were there for business for 5yrs
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Do you know if they obtained indefinite leave to remain?

It's what you get when you apply after being in the UK for 5 years because you intend to live permanently here..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. They did not. I live in kuwait right now as an international teacher. I was just curious if I had any options
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, because you were born after 1983 and neither of your parents had indefinite leave to remain at the time of your birth you do not qualify for UK citizenship.

If your parents had ILR at the time of your birth then you would be a UK citizen and could apply for a passport. If they did not have ILR at your birth but obtained it sometime before you were an adult then you could have also applied to register as a Uk citizen.

As it stands you are not eligible for UK citizenship and exceptions are simply not made in circumstances such as yours (ie. where you have another form of citizenship).

I’m really sorry but you do not qualify and if you wished to settle in the UK then you would have to apply for a visa to do so.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom