Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I received a court summons paying council tax (in the UK),

Customer Question

I received a court summons for not paying council tax (in the UK), to which i then contacted the council, who removed the court summons and arranged a payment plan, but kept the liability order. They said that this wouldn't have any affect on my life or anything else (criminal record).
But I am applying for a new visa (for the UK) and am aware of the good character assessment, If I've arranged payment plan with council, removed my name from the court summons but still have a liability order against me will this affect my application outcome, or not? and if not, do I have to include it in my application anywhere?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've attached a screenshot of the specific question on this from the visa 4 uk website in my application form. I am from Australia and applying for civil partner visa.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

A case worker will not normally refuse an application where the only good character issue is non-payment of council tax because of your financial position unless you have unreasonably refused to pay or have made some false statement to avoid paying the correct council tax liability.

So, assuming these do not apply to you then you should be okay.

A liability order is effectively a legal demand for payment, rather than a judgement made by court after contentious proceedings. However, I would probably disclose the liability order but mitigate it by making a statement confirming what has happened and showing evidence of the payment plan and you having kept to the payment plan.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Kind regards,

Tom