Waleed Hassan
Waleed Hassan, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge in Immigration, Nationality and Asylum law and have had conducted in lead cases.
85266915

My daughter is above 18 and currently studying at the

Customer Question

My daughter is above 18 and currently studying at the Coventry University in the UK, though she is above 18 she needs parental support and care due to previous instance of drug abuse at the American School in Muscat, she had also gone into depression when we moved from Oman to the UAE as she was missing her friends.
My question is that she is currently studying in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa. My wife has a 5 year multi entry visa and she accompanied her for the 1st term to support her. Due to her circumstances my wife would like to accompany her again to take care of her however due to the visa rules she cannot stay for more than 6 months during a course of the year. She does not want to violate the UK visa rules and over stay which would mean she would be staying illegally in the country. Is there a visa option which will allow her to accompany and stay with my daughter to take care. I am currently paying my daughters fees and am willing to fund my wife's expenses while she is in the UK. What UK visa options do I have which will allow her to stay for more than 6 months within a 12 month period (i.e. to coincide with my daughters University term)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Waleed Hassan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your query.

I will try and assist as much as possible.

Under the Tier 4 student visa, your daughter is a allowed to bring a dependent. However, as you are aware, a parent does not count.

You have also rightly stated that as a visitor that your wife cannot stay in the UK for more than six months. If your wife wants to stay in the UK for longer than six months, then she could consider the following applications:

Tier 1 Entreprenuer- your wife will have set up a business and invest £200,000 in the UK

Tier 2 Work permit- Your wife can work in the UK as long as there is someone who is willing to sponsor.

Tier 4 student

Representative of an Overseas Business visa

Your other option is, but I would suggest not to pursue, is when your wife is in the UK, she can make a formal application to the Home Office under FLR (O) and request the Home Office to give your wife leave to remain to coincide with your daughter's term time. But, the prospect of this application succeeding is very low, and it may affect your wife's future visit visa applications.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi, thank you for your query.

Tier 4 student

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not clear on the "more than six months". Can she stay for 6 months and return back after 2 months and stay another 6 months ?
Expert:  Waleed Hassan replied 7 months ago.

Happy New Year.

I note that you have not rated my answer, which is now long overdue.

I would be grateful if you would kindly rate my answer as soon as possible.