Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have lived in UK for 50 years and have been on on the

I have lived in UK for 50 years and have been on on the electoral register not voted but not an EU or British Citizen, what should I do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

Does your passport state that you have indefinite leave to remain?

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I really just want to know if I can come off the register without getting prosecuted.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

Okay, but if their any particular reason why you wish to come of the electoral register?

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Because I am not a nationality that has the right to vote
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. What nationality are you please?

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have had a form to fill out verifying information
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
American
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. I will try to help. <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">
It is quite curious how you have ended up on the electoral register if the only citizenship you hold is US. As this is a non-commonwealth country you would not have the right to vote. <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">You status in the UK is not at risk provided that you stay here, because “indefinite leave to remain” is the right to stay permanently in the UK without applying for any further visas. <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">As to the register, a person can only remove themselves from the “open” register, which is the register available for general sale. Details of how you can opt out of this are contained here:<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/opt-out-of-the-open-register<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> As to removing yourself from the local electron, you would probably have to contact your local Electoral Registration Office to see if you can be removed due to not being a UK /commonwealth citizen. You can find contact details for your local office by using the following link:https://www.gov.uk/get-on-electoral-register You’ll have to probably email then to explain the situation because it is a bit unusual. <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** problem is that I am down as British on the form, originally done by other people and than not corrected in order to get parking permits etc,and I was just kept on it over the years and didn't sign or correct it just kept on getting the polling cards. Things changed this year when everyone has to register individually with the process so I want to correct it.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

Right. You are just going to have to advise them that you are not British and that an apparent oversight has occurred during the past, which you now want to correct. It should be okay.

Please remember to leave feedback

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I do that on the form I have been sent, by just putting not British.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

I'm not sure that will have to desired effect, which is why corresponding with the local electoral office is probably the best way forward...

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, but will this lead to further action being taken by them.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

It's doubtful if there has not been any misprepresentation by you that you are British in order to actually get on the electoral roll.

If there was evidence that you had willfully misrepresented yourself as British then this might be a problem, but if (as you seem to say) you do not know how you got on there then you should be okay..

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But I never corrected it so it can be misrepresentation over many years.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

I think that would be a very incharitable interpretation of what has happened. Ultimately, the only thing you can do is either let it continue or do something about it. My view is that corrected it is better than not.

Ton

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** spoken to the electoral office and they say it should be okay.
Expert:  Thomas replied 8 months ago.

Great. Please do remember to leave feedback..

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.