Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

I need to know about bringing my Tunisian fiance to the UK.

Customer Question

I need to know about bringing my Tunisian fiance to the UK. I believe though that I may have a fight on my hands. I'm so deperate to know the clean simale facts and steps to take...
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been in this relationship for 15 months.
I am a young 52. He is 26 please I hope you do not roll your eyes....my eyes are very open.
I regularly fly to see him every 8-12 weeks.
He has no papers as far as employment is concerned.
I have no savings
I am employed part time
I live in private rented accommodation.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is your actual income?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
From employment. ?
£4600 last p60
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am halfway through a divorce from my husband of 16 years.
I have just sold my house so I guess I'll be living on the proceeds
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Will you have more than £63,000 in savings?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

is there any one else who will help you sponsor him financially?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Possibly but to ask these people I need to know what they would be agreeing to.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
His sister lives in Belgium she is a doctor. She would help financially.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

In Order to meet the financial requirements - given your limited income you will need to have available capital IN YOUR NAME of £52,000.

Alternatively you need someone else in this country who earns more than £18,400 to be willing to sponsor him to join you here

This assumes that he can pass the English test

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I find another person to sponsor him. ,
Do they need £52000..also?
Or do they just need to earn the figure
You specify.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

No they just need to earn the amount stated

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can he work when he gets here?
Is it better to be married?
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Yes he will be able to work as a partner - or as a spouse.

The choice is yours but it could be worth leaving the marriage until later

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
where do I start?
what visa
What papers
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

How long have you been together?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
15 months
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Then your options are to get married abroad and apply for a Spouse visa - or to apply for a Fiancee visa for a wedding here

You can access the forms here

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I need my divorce papers
Does my partner need any papers
How much time must elapse between
My divorce and marriage
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

You need to look at the forms and decide which option to take.

You cannot get married unless there has been a Decree Absolute so yes you will need your divorce papers

The Embassy website gives this information

Getting married in Tunisia

For information about documents relating to marriage if you are living abroad, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

If you are living in the UK and are planning to get married in Tunisia, you’ll be asked to provide a certificate of no impediment (CNI) to prove you’re allowed to marry. You can normally get a CNI by giving a notice of marriage at your local register office or registrar in the UK. Find your local office or registrar in England and Wales, Scotland,Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey. A CNI issued in Scotland is valid for 3 months. A CNI issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland will not expire. Check with your local register office to find out how long a CNI is valid if you live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. You should also check with the local authorities in Tunisia to find out how long a CNI is valid under local law.

You’ll need to exchange your certificate of no impediment issued by UK registrar for one that’s valid in Tunisia at the British Embassy in Tunis.

The local authorities may require additional documents such as your birth certificate or evidence of the termination of any previous marriage. You should clarify this with the local authorities.The names on all documents you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passports - if not, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. You may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. ..you have helped organise my head....can I continue to ask questions on this subject, without starting over?
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Of ocurse - i will answer follow ups even after a positive rating!

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much...
X
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, with regards ***** ***** from someone earning over £18, 600. His sisterlives and works in Belgium . Would she be able to do the sponsorship from there?
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

NO I am afraid not - she may be able to sponsor him to go to Belgium however