Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My partner is an Egyptian national living in the UK as the

Customer Question

Hello ,
My partner is an Egyptian national living in the UK as the spouse of an EEA national (they are separated). She intends to divorce him, and we intend to marry (I am a British national). They've been living here more than 1 year , but they're married for less than 3 years, so she does not seem to qualify for retained rights of residence under EEA rules. The Home Office told me she cannot 'switch' from European to UK immigration rules in this country, so she has to return to Egypt and apply for a 'family of a settled person' visa from there. Is there any way to avoid this?? If she must apply outside the UK, does it really have to be in Egypt or could she use any visa application centre? Is there any we she can stay here based on extending her stay in the UK as my partner?
Daniel
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

How long will it be until they reach 3 year married?

Is the relationship with the EEA national amicable?

Tom