Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My wife who is Japaneses was granted permission to remain in

My wife who is Japaneses was granted permission to remain in the UK indefinitely in Sept. 1994, now wishes to a become British Citizen. She speaks reads and writes English very well. Please advise requirements and cost.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are you a UK citizen yourself?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

I would firstly check with a Japanese lawyer that Japan permits dual citizenship, otherwise she may lose her Japanese citizenship if she naturalises as a UK citizen.

She will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time she has spent out of the country in the last three years before her application I submitted and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated. If she has spent more than the time stipulated outside of the UK then she should not apply because it will be rejected.

You will also see that she must have passed the “knowledge of English” and “life in the UK test” and again there are links on the above page giving you information on how she can do this, if she has not already done so.

You will have to apply by completing the Home Office’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/how-to-apply

The applciaiton fee to apply is £1236.

Once she has applied, if she is successful then she will be sent her Certificate of Naturalisation. She would then attend a citizenship ceremony and thereafter she may apply for a passport.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom