Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My wife is brittish. I apply for a spousal visa and I

Hi I'm Cameroonian and my wife is brittish. I apply for a spousal visa and I received 2.5 years. However I'll like to know if can switch it to a 5 year visa before the end of the 2.5 years?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moreover I lived in the UK for 7 years and we have enough been married for 3.5 years and wondering if I qualify for indefinite leave to remain?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

As you are on a spouse visa your only option to extend is to apply for an extension before your current 2.5 years runs out.

When you do this they will grant you a further 2.5 years to that you can reach 5 years residence (ie. living here) in the UK on your spouse visa. They only extend for 2.5 years, not a further 5 years.

Before the extended 2.5 years expires you can apply for “indefinite leave to remain” which is they right to remain permanently in the UK without applying for any more visas.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom