Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am a EEA national. I've been living and working in UK for

I am a EEA national. I've been living and working in UK for over 10 yers now. I have a residence card for over 5 yers. How do I act now to apply for British pasport. I have made some research but there is soo much information about everything that I want to have a professional opinion before I start spending load amount of money. So far what I've got is- book and pass the Life in uk test and then pay over £1k for naturalisation . And I don't need indefinite leave to remain. Is this correct.
Best regards
VT
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Have you applied to the home office for confirmation of your Permanent Residence yet?

Tom

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have I blue card that states- UK RESIDENCE DOCUMENTATION FOR A NATIONAL OF AN EEA STATE. Issued 2009
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your patience. I am afraid you are not yet eligible to apply for naturalisation yet as you have not applied for confirmation of your permanent residence.. This is because you have not obtained a PR card. The rules were changed about a year ago, so that applicants for naturalisation must hold a PR card if they are EEA nationals if you want to apply for UK citizenship. So, you must first apply for PR and obtain it before you naturalise, or you van simply apply for permanent residence and simply remain living here with a PR card. Details on how you can apply are on the following page:https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-cardOnce you have obtained confirmation of PR the you can apply for naturalisation 12 months later than the date that your PR is issued to you, you have to wait because there is a requiremdent that you are free of immigration time restrictions (ie. that you hold PR) for 12 months. You would have to meet the criteria on the following page in order to apply for naturalisation too:https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-applyThis includes passing the life in the UK test. The most important issues that many people are ultimately rejected on is provided sufficient evidence of you exercising treaty rights int he UK. You must submit as many documents (eg. bank statements, tenancy agreement, job contracts, payslips, etc) as you can which show that you have been living and working in the UK over the whole 5 years. <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal">My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:
normal"> Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A little bit confused here. The document I have is a registration certificate. And it states it is uk residence documentation. I've just had it over 6 yers now and it is in the former of a blue folding card.
This is exactly why I wanted a second opinion, because I was told that if I had this card for 5 years before 2015 that applies to not needing to get indefinite leave to remain.Thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Forget about "indefinite leave to remain", it does not apply to EEA national. "Permanent residence" is what applies to EEA nationals.

A registration certificate is proof of your right to work in the UK. It is not Permanent Residence. Permanent Residence is your right to remain permanently in the UK without working, which essentially means being free of immigration time restrictions.

If you applied for naturalisation before 12/11/2015 then you would not have needed to apply for Confirmation of Permanent Residence. However, the rules changed after this date and so any applicant for naturalisation applying after 12/11/2015 must have obtained a confirmation of their Permanent residence.

If you apply without this then the application for naturalisation will be rejected and you will lose the very expensive naturalisation fee.

Please remember to leave feedback.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh I see! I was sure I can just apply for the naturalisation! That would have been an expensive mistake!Thank you verry much for your help!
Val
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Hi Val,

You're welcome, but please remember to leave feedback..

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.