Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have had an indefinite leave to remain in the UK since

i have had an indefinite leave to remain in the UK since April 2010 now i need to apply to become a British Citizen , how do i go about it?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are you married to a UK citizen please?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 4 mins or so please..

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

You need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised you will be able to obtain a passport.

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation (including the life in the UK test):-

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply

In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page for how you should apply:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/

Please note that you should check that your current citizenship country allows dual citizenship. If it does not then you would probably have to give up your current citizenship in order to naturalise.

Once you have received your certificate of naturalisation, you will have to attend a citizenship ceremony. You can then apply for your UK passport after you have held the ceremony.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom